.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

ScreenwriterBones

Stories from a seasoned screenwriter. Take heart! Your creative source is infinite and un-ending. Sometimes Hollywood just rips up the roadmap back to it. The bottom line is that Hollywood is not at all as bad as it sounds. Additionally, it's worse than you can imagine. Remember to pack a sense of humor.

Name:

I am a screenwriter living in Southern California. I've written screenplays for most of the Hollywood studios over the past 20 years. One of the uncredited writers of FANTASTIC FOUR, I wrote FIRE DOWN BELOW starring Steven Seagal, and the TV Movie 12:01 PM starring Martin Landau and MANEATER with Gary Busey. I have directed short films. I have written on numerous Hollywood studio assignments, some for big shot actors, some for small shot nobodies.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Can't Write in Longhand

Getting back from my trip at the end of august I asked my computer to restart a way it couldn't and pretty much shut off its brain and it wouldn't restart. Then my lap top was connected to an external hard drive that was shut of incorrectly and wouldn't restart. Then when it did, it wouldn't connect to the internet. I basically pulled out all my remaining hair in the first 24 hours of coming home. And none of my hardware worked. Couldn't write, couldn't burn disks. So I was pretty much crippled.

It was not a nice feeling. You don't realize how much you rely on something until it's gone.

Don't wait until this is a wife, girlfriend or boyfriend out there by the way.

Anyway, without computers and internet for so long was very disturbing.

and i just can't write long hand anymore.

So up and running again. Will post more today. Wll be sending out CD's very soon! Thank you for your understanding out there!

2 Comments:

Blogger Eleanor said...

Sounds like a nightmare. I'm glad you're through it!

I'm looking forward to the cd. :)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006  
Blogger SCRIPTMONK!!! said...

I never could write anything serious on a computer period. Something about the electronic, glowing screen always seems to suck my brain out like something from Poltergeist, and then I would get distracted by the much more fun programs I had lurking behind my Final Draft window. Plus, I come from the school of thought that an idea does not truly exist until it is spoken aloud to someone else or is fixed in tangible form. Can something you can delete with the press of a button really be said to truly exist?

I used to fill notebook after notebook with longhand, but the problem was that I could think far faster than I could write, so I would start a sentance, and halfway through I woudl have already forgotten the perfect way I wanted to phrase its ending. Everytime I had anything, I had to take time out to sit and write it down.

The solution? TYPEWRITER. A typewriter to a writer is like a piano to a pianist. It can only do one thing: write. I can type as fast as I can think, my work is created right in front of my eyes to show off or make corrections, and its friendly little whirring sound helps keep me in that near-hypnotic state I need that says "You're writing right now. Nothing else exists." Why did we ever stop using these things?

Tuesday, January 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home