.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

ScreenwriterBones

Stories from a seasoned screenwriter. Take heart! Your creative source is infinite and un-ending. Sometimes Hollywood just rips up the roadmap back to it. The bottom line is that Hollywood is not at all as bad as it sounds. Additionally, it's worse than you can imagine. Remember to pack a sense of humor.

Name:

I am a screenwriter living in Southern California. I've written screenplays for most of the Hollywood studios over the past 20 years. One of the uncredited writers of FANTASTIC FOUR, I wrote FIRE DOWN BELOW starring Steven Seagal, and the TV Movie 12:01 PM starring Martin Landau and MANEATER with Gary Busey. I have directed short films. I have written on numerous Hollywood studio assignments, some for big shot actors, some for small shot nobodies.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Finished the Rough First

Been absent from blogging as I dove head first into this first draft. Just finished my first rough first pass and wrote THE END. It was quite a rush, and unbelievably difficult to pull off. I went with imperfect scenes, unpolished narrative, some flat dialogue (and some really good) but kept the flow going, and structurally feels like everything is in the right place. Haven't written a script this quickly in a very long time, probably 15 years.

Now I have to get some sleep and when I wake up, see if the durned thing makes any sense.

Wouldn't it be cool if it did?

9 Comments:

Blogger writergurl said...

3 weeks! Cool. Congrats!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations, dude! You hammered it out!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger Cunningham said...

That's great, Philip. Just remember when you look it over that this is the "clay" you will use to craft a great vase. It's supposed to be lumpy and grey and squishy when you wrap your fingers around it. But when the rewrite wheel starts a spinnin'- you'll be glad you have this much clay to work with.

Congrats!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger Grubber said...

Ditto Phil, Congratulations!

Enjoy the sleep!

Actually one question I have, if I may, that I have always had for professionals like you Bill, Alex, etc, is, do you write at home, or do you have an office somewhere?

I am just curious, and I realise it will probably come down to the individual.
cheers
Dave.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005  
Blogger Danny Stack said...

Excellent. A rough stone soon to be sculpted into a sparkling diamond.

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Cunningham said...

Dave (aka Grubber) - I have a home office that I share with my business partner. He comes in dressed and I come in wearing my shorts and a sweatshirt. He's the Felix to my Oscar. I do however, want to be in the position to have a small office where I can get out of the house, work, then leave it for the next day. By having a home office, my days end up dragging out into the evening and sometimes into the morning.

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Phil said...

Thanks all for such suppotive comments. Yes, the clay will be molded, and sometimes the clay is hardest to generate. Woody Allen is often quoted as saying something akin to: I hate writing, I like re-writing.

Dave: I work at home too, with two kids running around, it's a bit of a challenge. I have also had an office on one production, and that was interesting too. Each job brings it's own thing, with plus and minus'. Unless you have a significant deal at a studio, as a feature writer, you probably don't have an office. Room is also at a premium on the lots. You can of course find and rent your own, but have to work that into your budget. Tv most often provides you an office/workspace as their space needs are so great, and it's part of the overhead to create the office environment.

Thursday, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Gary the Llama said...

Ah yes, the dreaded, "wait and see until morning" phase.

I just went through that this week and it went surprisingly well. I haven't deleted the file in a fit or rage yet, so that's a good sign.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling and say it: Congratulations!

Friday, September 16, 2005  
Blogger Melville said...

Concrats, Josh, hope sense is still there when you wake up :)

Sunday, September 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home